The Traffic Signal Division is a three person team that plays an active role in keeping people moving through the city by supporting and maintaining the 211 signalized intersections in Stamford. Whether it’s ensuring traffic management procedures and best practices are followed, maintaining the system in a state of good repair, or providing 24/7/365 on-call support, the department plays a vital role in the City.
Thanks to a $5.5 million Local Transportation Capital Improvement Program grant Stamford has been connecting all traffic lights to the traffic control center in the Government Center with Fiber-optic cabling. This allows the department to retime lights, which hasn’t been done in 25 years. Retiming lights allows traffic to flow smoother, which means fewer delays.
There are several benefits to retiming lights, including but not limited to:
- Shorter travel times
- Reduced delay and waiting time at signals
- Reduced fuel consumption and emissions
- Reduce the number of signals you stop at
- Improves safety
- Provides for all modes of travel
- Decrease pedestrian wait time
- Create zones so we can be more responsive to changes in local traffic patterns and volumes