INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLYING FOR A MARRIAGE LICENSE
The following requirements are necessary to obtain a marriage license at the Town Clerk's Office in Stamford.
- You must submit an application fee of $50.00
- You must have some type of photo identification, (i.e. Drivers License or a Passport).
- Both parties must personally appear.
- Either party may start the application process. However, the other party must appear before the ceremony to sign the application.
- If either partner is under 18 years of age, they must have their parent or guardian sign a consent form. Identification must be presented by the parent. A birth certificate must be presented by persons less than 18 years of age.
- You can only apply in the town where you are having your ceremony.
- A blood test is NO LONGER REQUIRED in the State of Connecticut.
The license will only be valid for 65 days after the date of application. NO EXCEPTION IS ALLOWED. If the license is not used in this time period, you MUST begin the process over and reapply. You can only apply in the town where the marriage is taking place.
We take applications until 3:30 pm everyday. A list of Justice of the Peace, who can perform your ceremony, is available at the Town Clerk's office.
After you complete and submit the form, you must wait at least one business day before the completion of your license.
After the ceremony is performed, the officiator will return the license to our office. Once we have received the license, you will be able to obtain a certified copy of your marriage certificate. The cost is $20.00 per copy, which you may obtain by mail or in person.
- Marriage License Application
- Instructions on applying for marriage (Spanish): INSTRUCCIONES PARA APLICAR, OBTENER O CONSEGUIR, LICENCIA PARA CASARSE EN STAMFORD, CT
If you have any questions, please contact the Town Clerk’s office at (203) 977-4054.
Office hours are Monday thru Friday from 8:00 am to 3:45 pm.