Veterans' Discharge Information


To receive a veteran’s exemption on the assessed value of your real or personal property, you must file in the Town Clerk’s office either your originally ink-signed military discharge document or DD-214 certificate (separation papers from active duty) or an electronically signed military discharge document if the signature on it is traceable to and, thus, authenticates an official of the command, service or defense agency from which the presenting veteran was discharged as its source and indicates the official's approval of the information it contains.  The Town Clerk is also allowed to accept certified copies from the VA, or certified copies from another town where the DD-214 has previously been filed.    You must file by September 30 to receive credit on the following year’s tax bill. There is no fee.

To qualify, you must have served during a time of war.   

Duplicate copies of DD-214's may be obtained by contacting the National Personnel Records Center, at 1 (800) 827-1000 and request Form 180. Or you can visit their website at They can be reached by e-mail at "[email protected]".

For further information regarding your exemption, please contact the Assessor’s Office at 203-977-5888.