Despite receiving some beneficial rainfall over the last few weeks, high temperatures and high water demands continue to reduce water reservoir levels in Connecticut. 2020’s below average rainfall has resulted in Southwest Fairfield County hitting its second drought trigger this summer. In order to help avoid further mandatory water restrictions, Aquarion Water Company urges customers to continue conserving water.
Customers that live in the six towns currently under a mandatory, twice-weekly irrigation schedule (Darien, Greenwich, New Canaan, Newtown, Stamford and Westport) are being asked to continue reducing water usage by 20 percent and to follow the mandatory, twice-weekly sprinkler irrigation schedule. Aquarion also encourages customers that live outside of these six towns to voluntarily follow this schedule as an easy way to conserve water.
Based on current water demands and expected rainfall, the third drought trigger could be hit in the next few weeks. The third drought trigger would require additional mandatory restrictions.
In order to use water more efficiently, Aquarion is encouraging customers to take the following actions:
Outdoor water conservation measures
- Adjust your lawn mower to a higher setting. A taller lawn provides shade to the roots and helps retain soil moisture, so your lawn requires less water.
- Reduce your sprinkler setting to two days per week. The grass roots will grow deeper and make your grass more drought tolerant.
- Adjust your sprinklers so that they're watering your lawn and garden, and not the street or sidewalk.
- Turn off your irrigation system and use hand watering or drip irrigation for shrubs and flowers.
- Inspect your overall irrigation system for leaks, broken lines or blockage in the lines. A well-maintained system will save you money, water, and time.
Indoor water conservation measures
- Turn off the water while lathering up, shaving, or brushing your teeth.
- Minimize baths and the amount of water you use for each. Trim one minute off the length of your showers.
- Wash only full loads in your dishwasher and washing machine.
- Hand wash dishes in a pan or the sink, not under continuous running water.
- Reuse dehumidifier water or use a bucket to capture shower and bath water while you wait for it to warm up; then use the water to water your plants.
Visit www.aquarionwater.com/conserve for additional water conservation tips.
Aquarion continues to monitor Stamford's water supply and will update you in the weeks ahead. Should you have any concerns or questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to them at [email protected]. For more information, please visit Aquarion's site: www.aquarion.com/ct.