LUB Boards

Who does the Land Use Bureau work with?

The Land Use Bureau works with homeowners and developers who wish to get a building permit for work done on their property. In many instances, building permits require sign of from the Land Use Bureau's Zoning Enforcement and Environmental Protection divisions. To learn more on how to apply for a building permit in Stamford click here.

The Land Use Bureau also provides technical support to the following Boards:

•    Zoning Board. The Zoning Board reviews site plans and applications for changes to the City's Zoning Text, Zoning Map and certain special exceptions, as defined per the Zoning Regulations.

•    Planning Board. The Planning Board drafts, approves and the City's Master Plan and makes sure that all Zoning Text and Map changes conform with the Master Plan. The Planning Board also is part of the City's Capital Budget process and approves application for subdivisions.

•    Zoning Board of Appeals. The Zoning Board of Appeals grants variances to existing Zoning if it finds that a hardship significantly inhibits the development of a property. It also grants certain Special Exceptions, pursuant to the City's Zoning Regulations.

•    Environmental Protection Board. In accordance with Federal, State and Local regulations, the Environmental Protection Board regulates local inland Wetlands and Watercourses, serves as the local Conservation Commission and acts as the local Flood and Erosion Control Board.

Board Members