The City of Stamford Department of Transportation, Traffic and Parking is seeking a highly motiviated and experience Traffic Signal System Engineer
Under the general direction of the Bureau Chief of Transportation, Traffic and Parking or designee, performs all technical assignments, research, maintenance and daily operations of a computerized traffic control system; performs other traffic and transportation engineering and traffic signal related work as required.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- In depth experience with traffic signal operation, design, and configuration.
- Good knowledge of GridSmart design and operation.
- Ability to engage with the public and the ability to communicate and influence effectively.
- Thorough knowledge of a wide range of ITS technologies, including GridSmart, Fiber optic communication, VMS, and CCTV.
- Ability to apply management techniques and prioritize responisibilities to ensure work is accomplished by project deadlines.
- Proven ability to learn new skills and understand complex technical projects rapidly.
- Excellent problem solving skills and the ability to develop new and innovative ideas.
- Ability to work as part of a team and to supervise, coach and mentor subordinates.
- Familiarity with State and Federal design processes with respect to signal design.
- Aptitude for detail-oriented work assignments.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science; Computer, Civil, Traffic or Transportation Engineering; or a closely related field and three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in the field of traffic engineering, one (1) year of which must have been in computerized traffic signal systems and control. NOTE: A Master’s degree in one of the above noted fields may substitute for one (1) year of the general traffic engineering experience. Valid Driver’s License.
- Project management experience
- Asset management/maintenance experience
- Traffic modelling experience
- Experience of design or operation of other ITS infrastructure
Interested applicants are advised to submit a fully completed application form along with their resume, listing all related degrees, training and work experience. Incomplete applications or those submitted without a resume will be rejected. Applications of candidates who do not meet the stated position requirements will not be considered. Position is open until filled. Applications can be obtained at the City of Stamford, Human Resources Division, 9th Floor, and 888 Washington Boulevard, Stamford, Connecticut or at www.stamfordct.gov
Applicants are encouraged to review the job announcement in its entirety prior to applying, please click below.
Click Here for application packet and additional information.