During the COVID-19 health emergency, vital city operations will continue, but some departments may be operating with reduced staff, or closed altogether, in order to encourage social distancing. The Stamford Government Center is currently closed to all visitors who do not have an appointment with a specific department.
If you need to contact a City department directly, please visit the City’s website https://www.stamfordct.gov/departments and select “City Departments” from the “Our City” dropdown menu.
Public Facing City Department COVID-19 Protocols
- Building Department
- Emergency protocol available on the department’s webpage
- Building permits: Submit online
- Inquiries: Contact David Nelson at 203-977-1194
- Emergency protocol for plan review and inspections related to COVID-19.
- Cashiering and Permitting - Information regarding paying a parking ticket or purchasing parking permits
- Please call 203-977-4979 or 203-977-5213 to pay by credit card over the phone.
- Engineering Department - Permitting and plan review procedures due to Covid-19
- Land Use Bureau - Department operation procedures due to COVID-19
- Parks Department - Parks and Beaches remain open, but certain restrictions apply for groups over 5, click for more details
- Property Assessment - Important changes regarding the elderly benefit program
- Recycling & Sanitation - All residential garbage and recycling collection, Scale House and Katrina Mygatt Recycling Center are on a normal schedule, except we are temporarily halting the collection of household textiles in Pink bags.
- Registrar of Voters - Presidential primary date has changed from April 28 - June 2
- Stamford Police Department - All fingerprinting services provided will be temporarily suspended
- The records room of the Stamford Police Department is closed to the general public
- Town Clerks Office - Only open by appointment only (Essential Business Only). Please visit their webpage for a complete list of all changes in their operational procedure.
- Stamford’s Town Clerk’s Office is providing free internet access to land records data for the duration of the public health emergency.
If you find that you are not able to reach anyone in the Department that you need services from, Please contact our Citizen Services at (203) 977-4140.
- To file a request for Stamford’s Office of Operations – or “Public Works” – please visit Fix It Stamford. Fix It requests are sent directly to the City staff responsible for addressing your concern.
- To report power outages or low hanging power lines, contact the electric utility company EVERSOURCE at 1.800.286.2000.
- For water main breaks or water cap damages, please contact the water utility company Aquarion at 203.445.7310.
- If you have a road concern for High Ridge Road, Long Ridge Road, Tresser Boulevard, Washington Boulevard, or West Main Street — please note these are state roads managed by Connecticut’s Department of Transportation. You can contact them at 1.860.594.2000.