Scalzi Park is the 3rd largest City Park that contains a large recreational area within the Stamford city limits. It features tennis, bocce, handball, roller hockey skating, skate park, bike trails, basketball, volleyball, baseball, softball fields, running and hiking trails as well as climbing tower, zip line and fitness stations. It also houses Cubeta Stadium, which is home to the Stamford American Legion baseball squad.
In 2002, the City of Stamford contracted with Stantec Consulting, Inc. to develop a Master Design Plan for Scalzi Park. The design was completed in September 2004. Subsequently, Stanec developed construction documents for the first phase of the park.
Phase 1 Improvements included 3 elements:
I: Construction of asphalt walking paths with ornamental lighting
- Streetscape elements
- Benches and memorial monument enhancements
- Installation of concrete curbing with storm drainage improvements
- Relocation of ball field with new backstop and clay infield
- Splash pad
II: Replacement of lighting on 1 field and installation of new lighting on 2nd field.
III: Playground with new equipment and safety surface
The contractor, NMP Golf Construction Corp. began construction of Phase 1 in June 2011, and completed in May 2012.
Total construction cost of Phase 1 was approximately $2 million.
In December of 2011, the City retained the services of TO Design to prepare construction documents for Phase 2.
Phase 2 Improvements included:
- Construction of asphalt sidewalk, concrete curbing and streetscape elements
- Parking area expansion improvements and roadway improvements
- Paving of loop drive with concrete curbing
- Storm drainage improvements
- Lighting improvements in parking areas and other locations
- Improvements to roller hockey rink and new retaining wall
- Improvements to lower ball field including new clay infield, backstop and replacement of outfield fencing along river
- Designated Fitness Area which include pull up bars and other stations
- Skate park improvements, including new paved surface within fence
- Site furnishings: fencing, benches, trash receptacles
- Landscaping – including plantings, turf, trees, shrubs, and rain gardens
- Handball court resurfacing
WJL Equities Corp. began construction in November, 2011 and substantially completed in June, 2013.
Total construction cost of Phase 2 is approximately $2.3 million.
Phase 3 went out to bid in July 2013, project construction shall commence after the Labor Day.
Phase 3 will include renovation of the existing restroom building, as well as the construction of 2 new bathrooms, all complete with handicap accessibility.
Total budget for Phase 3 is $750,000.
Pavilion, Splash pad, and Playground
Parking area expansion improvements