The City will continue to permit residents to place their leaves curbside for the 2020 fall season. Only loose leaves that are left curbside will be collected. Please make sure that your loose leaves are not on the road or blocking the sidewalk, as this may result in removal costs and fines. If residents choose to bag their leaves, they may be placed on the road by the curb, provided they do not block sight lines or interfere with traffic.
As in previous years, please do not put brush, dirt or debris in leaf piles or bags. If it is determined that your piles of leaves or bags are not in compliance, they will not be picked up by the city. If you see leaves that are not in compliance with city ordinance, you can report it on Fixit Stamford. On heavily parked streets, the city will be posting temporary no parking signage to remove leaves. Please be aware that during this time, illegally parked cars will be ticketed and towed.
The City encourages all citizens to consider mulching or composting their leaves as a better, more environmentally beneficial alternative. Shredding leaves into lawns or flower beds or collecting leaves in compost piles are ways residents can dispose of leaves in an environmentally friendly matter. Mulching leaves into your lawn will provide you with a natural fertilizer that will improve soil health in a cheap and efficient manner. It’s easy, green and saves you money.
This year, the City will also pickup storm debris that is placed alongside leaves. For more information, Click Here.
If you would like further up to date updates on this year's leaf pick up program, please sign up for the City of Stamford E-Subscribe List.
The leaf pickup program begins November 12th. Leaves must be out no later than:
|North (Above Merritt Parkway)||November 11|
|Middle (Merritt Parkway to I-95)||November 18|
|South (South of I-95)||December 3|
Residents can bring loose leaves to the transfer station or recycling center on Magee Avenue.
- Residents can bring up to 200 pounds of leaves daily at no charge.
- If you have over 200 lbs, you will be charged $4.90 per 100 pounds of additional weight.
- Effective October 15, 2020 rate is $5.05 per every extra 100 lbs.
- Residents need to have a permit to access the Recycling Center.
- Recycling Center permits can be obtained in the Scale House, which is located at the Transfer Station (101 Harbor View Ave.)
- Proof of residency (utility bill, lease, etc.) is required to obtain a Recycling Center permit.
- Passenger vehicles do not need to be registered in Stamford in order to obtain a Recycling Center permit.
Stamford Transfer Station at 101 Harbor View Avenue
- Monday - Saturday, 6:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Recycling Center at 130 Magee Avenue (RESIDENTS ONLY)
- Open Tuesday and Saturday, 7:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Seasonal Job Opportunity
The City of Stamford is currently looking for seasonal laborers and drivers for the upcoming leaf pickup season. Please visit the Seasonal Jobs Page for more information.
Further information on mulching leaves.