There are two separate Lists for registered motor vehicles. The Regular List consists of all motor vehicles that reside in Stamford and are registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles as of October 1. The DMV then provides a list of this information annually to the Assessor. The initial tax bill for vehicles on this list is due on the following July 1.
Motor vehicles registered after October 1 is recorded on the Supplemental list. The tax bill for vehicles on this list is not due July 1, but rather on January 1 of the following year.
Example: Owner of new vehicle registered with DMV on October 18, 2011 will receive the initial tax bill on January 1, 2013.
All vehicles are priced annually using the NADA Price Guide’s clean retail value.
If you have disposed of the vehicle prior to September 1st you may be entitled to a credit. If you have disposed of the vehicle but have transferred plates to your new vehicle no action is necessary. You will receive a credit on the Supplemental Tax Bill. However, if you have disposed of the vehicle and the plates, you will need to bring the following to the Assessor’s Office in order to receive credit if applicable:
- The cancelled plate receipt from CT Department of Motor Vehicle and one of the following:
- Bill of sale
- Trade-in papers from dealership
- Junk receipt
- Copy of out of state registration
- Letter from insurance company stating date of and reason for the cancellation if vehicle was declared a total loss. Letter must state the date the vehicle ownership was given to the insurance company.
- Property Assessment
- Tax Collection
- 2014 Assessor's Notice
- Board of Assessment Appeals
- Downloadable Forms
- Elderly Homeowners Extension to File Application
- Elderly Tax Credit Info 2015
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Motor Vehicles
- Office of Administration
- Online Tax Payments
- Personal Property
- Property Revaluation
- Real Estate
- Stamford Videos
- Tax Assessment Database
Monday – Friday 8:30am – 4:30pm